|Party Chicken Noodle Casserole
5 pounds of chicken, cut 1 inch thick
3/4 pound of egg noodles, broken up
1/3 cup of onions, minced
1/3 cup of green pepper, minced
3 ounces of canned mushrooms, sliced
1 cup of pitted black olives
1 can of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cup of Sharp cheddar cheese; Grated
1/4 cup of Pimientos, minced
1 tablespoon of minced parsley
1/2 teaspoon of celery salt
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
1. Put the chicken in a large kettle with barely enough water to cover the usual items to give it flavor: 2 teaspoons of salt, 1/2 onion cut into pieces, stalk of celery cut up, 1 carrot cut up, 2 sprigs of parsley, a bay leaf, etc. Cover and simmer until well done -- 1 1/2 to 2 hours (PREPARATION TIME CAN BE CUT CONSIDERABLY BY USING A PRESSURE COOKER FOR THIS STEP. BRING TO FULL PRESSURE AND COOK FOR 8-10 MINUTES)
2. Remove the chicken pieces from the broth, cool them, skin, and cut the meat into rather large chunks.
3. Strain the broth and chill it so that you can skim off the fat. Save the fat. The chicken can be cooked the day before you need it.
4. Measure the chicken broth you have ad add enough canned chicken broth (if necessary), or boiling water and chicken stock base, or bouillon cubes, to make 6 cups of broth. Include the juice from the mushrooms.
5. Bring to a boil and cook the noodles in it about 7 minutes.
6. In 2 tablespoons of the skimmed-off chicken fat lightly sauté the onion, green pepper, and mushrooms. Stir in the chicken and olives.
7. Partly drain the cooked noodles, leaving them just a little soupy.
8. Stir in the soup, cheese, pimentos, parsley, celery salt, and salt and pepper to taste. 9. In a large casserole make alternate layers of the chicken mixture and the noodle mixture. Top with a fairly thick layer of buttered crumbs and bake about 1 hour at 325ºF. or until bubbly and golden. Serves 10
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 15:09:36 -0700 From: email@example.com MC-Recipe Digest #133 From the MasterCook recipe list.